Music has charms to soothe the...
...savage breast" wrote William Congreve way back in the 17th century. It's often misquoted as "...charms to soothe the savage beast", presumably to stop young boys from jump starting into puberty or to keep the overly-sensitive from fainting. Both lines work though. Good music can often take me through anger and out the other side to calm and rational. It also calms and centers me when I am sad or worried.
Well, I'm having a bit of a rough time with a rescue kitten. He's in a bad way, FIP is nasty stuff. We have a newish antiviral treatment on the way, and it's said to have about an 80% success rate, but we are still really worried.
So what are some songs that help you through difficult times? I'll share one of each.
Fair warning, I am a bit of a metal head, so these may not be for everyone.
First, one for when I am the savage beast. When I am angry and frustrated. Particularly when I have identified what exactly is making me so. Megadeth, "Crush em"
Next we have what centers me when I am upset about something. I always look to center myself, and this song helps, because it reminds me that I am not alone and that I can keep going through. This one isn't heavy metal, but it is rock and roll.
Rush, Far Cry
These two particular songs do help me stay centered and focused and for some reason they help me generate forward motion. They help me come up with ideas to solve the problems, or at least give me an alternate focus if endurance is what I really need.
So what do you listen to if you are problem solving, or maybe in need of soothing? What is your go to when Sad or Angry (and yes, I meant to capitalize those)
Happy Monday,
Paul Tiki
